Thursday, May 10, 2012

Card Box Tutorial

Hello Bloggers!

I have a few more boxes to share today.  I made four more boxes on Tuesday. I have more free time now since I don't have to go to work for a while.  Yay! to that.  Now you would think it was a lot of boxes for one day.  When you duplicate the same item, it didn't take as much time at all. Plus I had all the embellishment already so each box didn't take much time at all.  I forgot to take a picture of the purple box before  I sold it.  So here are 3 of them.







I have two different ways to make  this box.

Here is the first one:

1 - 11 x 12 sturdy card stock for box

 Note to myself:  water color papers are very sturdy their thickness are up to 140 lb perfect for this project.

1 - 7 5/8 x 11 1/8 for lid

take the 11 x 12 card stock and on the 11 inch size score @ 2 1/2 and 8 1/2

see picture below

turn and score at 4 3/4 and 7 1/4



cut off  where I marked with the  "X" (1 1/4 x 6 inches)  Then fold on all score lines and make 4 cuts where indicated.  You can use die cut for that area but it will be difficult when you decorate the box later so that was why I just cut it straight.  Assemble the box. 
The finished size for this box is 2 1/2" depth x 4 3/4" tall x 6" long.


Here is another way and this was the one that I used.  The box came out very sturdy!

2 - 7 1/2 x 11 card stock for box
1 - 7 5/8 x 11 1/8 card stock for lid

take the 7 1/2 x 11 inches card stock and on the 11 inches size score at 2 1/2 & 8 1/2. see picture below

turn and score at 5 inches
make two cut
 you should have this
glue and assemble the piece and you should have this.  This will be the back of the box.  I added the word adhesive here so you know where to put glue when you join the two pieces together.  see the 4th  picture below

take the other piece and score the same measurement.  Except for this piece you will need to make
 3 cuts off where I marked with the "x".  See diagram picture
you should have this


take this piece and adhere to the other piece.  Apply adhesive where indicated and that is the box.

The lid is the same measurement for both boxes.
Take the 7 5/8 x 11 1/8 and score 2 1/2 all around.  Then make 4 cuts


Assemble the lid and decorate your box. The finished size for this box is 2 1/2" depth x 5" tall x 6" long.  I hope you will give this box a try.  The tutorial looked like lots of work but it is a very easy box to make.

Any question let me know.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Helen



13 comments:

Dr Sonia S V said...

Thank You Helen so clearly explained!

Cheers
Sonia
cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

Laavanya said...

First time in your blog and amazed by your talent and creativity! Everything looks so pretty and I esp. love all the crochet work you've done.

Creative Thinker said...

Wonderful boxes!Thanks for tutorial.

Monica said...

Such darling boxes... your creativity is so inspiring. Thanks for the tut.

Glad that you have a day off.

Hugs,
Monica xxx

Panda8ngel said...

What a great idea for a gift! You could also make them into photo boxes for scrapbookers. Really cute! :)

Nati said...

beautiful cards, thank you for sharing!!

Ann said...

thank you for the wonderful tutorial. Your boxes are beautiful

Rhonda Miller said...

The boxes are beautiful, thanks for the tutorial.

chillin with Quillin said...

there gorgeous!!!
Paula

Anusha Vamsee said...

Wow... Lovely boxes.. And thank you for that detailed tutorial..:-)

Merry said...

Terrific tutorial...thanks for sharing and I love how you decorated yours.

Rae said...

Hi Helen, you know I NEED these gorgeous boxes! :)
Thanks for the instructions, too!

SUGANTHI said...

More beautiful cards Helen. Thank you so much for the tutorial .